sharing stories

I am listening to old Clannad songs and dreaming my way from an imaginary mountain to a pale, haunted sea. So today, a little sharing of beauty, wisdom and wonder which I found this week ...

Kilian Schoenberger is the artist who took the photographs featured in this post. When I first saw his work, several months ago now, it literally took my breath away. It still does.



Stories, they're thread to stitch the wound we all carry, the cut between us and the other. - The Storyteller of Cyriae, Driftways.

Lately, I have been contemplating storytelling as medicine, as it's at the heart of the project I'm currently, although slowly, bringing together. And the world has kindly entered into conversation with me about it. For example, I'm reading Grandmothers of the Light by Paula Gunn Allen as part of my gathering process, and can highly recommend it. And Terri Windling has a new post on medicinal storytelling which is wonderful, nourishing, and rich with quotes. 

I especially like this one by Ben Okri which she included: "A people are as healthy and confident as the stories they tell themselves. Sick storytellers can make nations sick." Just last night I was wearily watching yet another unkind comedy on tv (waiting for a movie to begin) and wishing that there was more powerful and authentic beauty on our tv and movie screens. I believe the heartlessness and violence with which we imbue our stories is diseasing our culture and spirits.




I so much enjoyed this article on how to fall in love with anyone. It proves there is nothing really stopping us from connecting with other people.

This article on the perils of capitalism is painful but important reading.




And these ...

Learn how to make beeswax lip balm here.
This quote by Geena Davis is sadly true.
Beautifully drawn art.
Love the earth.

I hope you have a beautiful day.

7 comments:

  1. mmmmm, such jewels sarah, thank you. You always have such wonderful thoughts and a veritable cornucopia of links to browse and ponder over ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel such peace when I come over here. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are gorgeous, and thank you for the wonderful links. I look forward to hearing more about your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm commenting again, I'm weird ;) But I had to say that I just posted on my blog and afterwards came back here to check out some of your links. The capitalism one hit home so much and was part of what I was writing about. This: “It’s clear the economic system is driving us towards an unsustainable future and people of my daughter’s generation will find it increasingly hard to survive. History has shown that civilisations have risen, stuck to their core values and then collapsed because they didn’t change. That’s where we are today.” This is part of what I was writing about walking away from. Yes. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird :-) And I loved your post - although I wonder if, for many people, it's less a matter of walking away than struggling for years in an effort to escape, and hopefully finally managing it. The thing that scares me about what is happening to the world is that I don't think we can stop it. There's just too much greed. No one cares what future generations might suffer when right now they want their big screen tv.

      To me, it was all summed up by a comedy video I watched on You Tube yesterday. It was explaining how diamonds are essentially without value, but one company artificially inflates their worth by controlling the supply, and their marketing campaign for engagement rings was such a success that now these rings have become embedded in our culture. And even knowing how we've been duped, and how the rings have no value, we will keep on buying them. It's sick and makes me despair. I worry that the "core values" of this civilisation are like diamond rings and big screen tvs - things we've allowed ourselves to be tricked into "needing", but ultimately worthless.

      Delete
  5. oh my
    these photographs move my breath, my heart, my eyes are thrilled
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunningly beautiful photos. My first thought on seeing the first one was that it looked like two mysterious beasts wrestling on a hill in the woods.

    ReplyDelete